Health Policy Research Reporter/Editor
Tradeoffs is a nonprofit media company striving to help people have smarter, more honest conversations about the U.S. health care system. We produce a weekly podcast that tells intellectually engaging, emotionally resonant stories and a newsletter that translates new and important health policy research. We also produce complementary digital and radio content that breaks down the policies and research covered on the podcast.
Our organization follows three principles: (1) rely on research and evidence; (2) employ storytelling techniques; and (3) focus at the intersection of policy, money and people.
We’re looking to hire a part-time Health Policy Research Reporter/Editor to produce our weekly Research Corner newsletter, bringing our audience the latest health policy research in an accessible and engaging format.
Each week, you’ll pick a recent study from the health policy literature and find engaging ways to summarize its key findings and broader policy implications. Some weeks you might report and write an original summary of the study, which could include conducting several interviews and reading additional papers. Other weeks you might conduct and edit a Q&A with a guest expert or edit a guest column written by an outside expert. You’ll also manage and engage our Research Council, a volunteer group of academics who advise Tradeoffs.
A strong candidate is skeptical and curious, and shares our belief in the power of data to illuminate tough choices in health care. You are committed to nuance and accuracy, averse to jargon, and as passionate about getting the details right as you are about making sure everyone can understand them.
This is a part-time position starting at roughly 20 hours per week, with potential for growth into a full-time role. Compensation is commensurate with experience, ranging between $75 per hour and $100 per hour. Preferred start date is December 1, 2022. This role is remote and reports to the Host/Executive Producer, former Marketplace health care reporter Dan Gorenstein, and works closely with Senior Producer Leslie Walker.
This person would:
- Write a weekly newsletter summarizing new health policy research
- Stay current on health policy news and research to guide newsletter content
- Conduct reporting, guest Q&As or guest author editing as needed
- Engage Research Council for editorial ideas, contributions and newsletter dissemination
- Work with marketing team to plan and execute newsletter dissemination
- Contribute to other Tradeoffs projects as needed
What you’ll bring:
- At least 5 years experience reporting on and/or writing about health care research and policy, with an emphasis on data and evidence
- Familiarity with (and ideally expertise in) a wide range of health policy topics, from Medicare and Medicaid to prescription drug prices to health disparities
- Strong writing and research translation skills
- Comfort reading and vetting academic research
- Capacity to work independently and in a fluid role
Don’t feel like you can check every single box above? That’s okay! If you’re passionate about this job, we want to meet you!
How to apply: Please complete our online application form, including submitting a cover letter, resume and 2-3 written work samples.
Tradeoffs is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace. Everyone, especially those from historically marginalized groups, are encouraged to apply. We value lived experience, including with the systems that shape our health and health care, in addition to work experience. Tradeoffs does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.